Puff Pastry Blueberry Crostata (Quick & Easy)
A rustic open faced blueberry pie that requires no special pans or tools to make, Puff Pastry Blueberry Crostata, the perfect dessert to end a simple meal. Make this delicious semi-homemade dessert with just a few ingredients in 30 minutes!
Crostata and galette are the same thing: a pie crust or tart pastry folded around a fruit filling.
- You can use fresh or frozen blueberries for this recipe, it doesn’t affect the recipe.
- When buying fresh blueberries, look for firm, plump and smooth-skinned berries, with a silvery surface bloom. Berries should be deep purple-blue to blue-black.
- You can buy blueberries in bulk especially during a sale; freeze and store in the freezer so you can use them whenever needed for a recipe.
- This recipe will work well with other berries and stone fruits too; Cherries, peaches, plums, nectarines, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and raspberries will all be delicious.
I’m a very lazy person, there’s no way I’m going to spend half the day preparing the puff pastry alone.
- Frozen puff pastry is available in the supermarkets.
- Frozen prata is a very good substitute to replace puff pastry.
- Pie crust can be used for this recipe too, just follow package for baking instructions.
- Sprinkling coarse sugar on the pastry before baking, gives your crostata a crystal sparkling look with nice crunch. This is totally optional; especially diabetics.
Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for a real treat!
Puff Pastry Blueberry Crostata
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- 20 cm puff pastry or a frozen prata (defrosted)
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp butter
- Egg wash
- 1/2 tsp coarse sugar (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Combine the blueberries with the sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch and sugar. Mix well then set aside.
- Trim puff pastry into a rough 20cm circle if needed. Place pastry on a sheet tray with baking paper.
- Pile the blueberry mix into the center of the pastry, about 1.5 inch away from the edge. Then flow the edges inwards, overlapping as you fold the pastry up around the filling all the way around.
- Brush pastry with egg wash and sprinkle coarse sugar.
- Bake the crostata in preheated oven for 20 – 25 mins or until the pastry is golden brown and crisp and the blueberries are soft.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Serve, topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Did you make this recipe?